Two Spare Bedrooms

31 year-old woman with 0 kids, 1 husband, and 2 spare bedrooms. My journey through infertility, IVF, miscarriage, and the ultimate goal of motherhood. Scratch that - my marriage is a casualty of infertility.

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Where To Go From Here?

I am officially back in my old room at my parents' house. I am not finished removing all my belongings from the house that used to be mine, nor am I finished unpacking what I have taken so far, so things are very upside down right now. I got back from Florida on Sunday, which was lovely. My next adventure is St. Maarten next week for my friend's wedding. Maybe this should become a travel blog - how I wish I could make a career out of vacationing! But reality will soon be setting in as I am most likely returning to the company I left last year after my department was eliminated. It's been quite an eventful year, and certainly not in a good way at all. I am so used to it though, that it just doesn't get me down anymore. Except when I am PMSing, then everything seems worse. But overall, everything is fine, and I finally feel at peace with my life. I no longer have to watch everything I say and do in order to please someone who always seemed to want to change me. It feels weird to have MY life back again, and be the person I once was. I really did not realize what a negative impact my marriage had on me until a couple of weeks ago. I am still not sure if it was actually my husband or the situations we had to deal with, but regardless, it was a lot of negative crap. Right now, I am content not being in a relationship. I have never been able to say that before. Every time a relationship ended, I felt nervous and insecure about being alone, so this is a new feeling for me. I guess I am finally comfortable with myself, and I like who I am. The three years of marriage counseling may not have helped the marriage, but it certainly helped me.

I am really not sure which direction I will be going in with this blog. Obviously I don't fit the criteria of infertile anymore, since I am no longer trying to have a baby at the moment. But the infertility and miscarriage had such an impact on my life that it is something that has changed me forever. I still get a little bit of that jealous feeling when I find out someone I know is pregnant. But at least now that I am separated no one will say to me "so when are you going to have a baby?" But then again, I wouldn't put it past people. People seem to love to remind women that they are getting older and should "get a move on" and have a baby. I have to say this experience has made me much more aware of my comments to others, and now I really think before I speak. I also do not take anything for granted, and appreciate the good things that are in my life, such as my family and friends. I have been watching my two-month old nephew, and it is such a wonderful experience to see him everyday and watch him change little by little. My sisters have been blessed with pregnancy and babies, and I am blessed with a beautiful nephew and one on the way.

I will keep the name of my blog the same, but I guess I will just approach it as a daily journal of my thoughts, which is what I initially started it for. It might be all over the place at times because that is how my life is right now, but at least I can get my feelings out.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:56 AM, Blogger Nico said…

    Hi Lisa,

    I'm so glad to hear that you're okay being by yourself right now. I think it's so important to be able to do that before you step into a relationship... it seems like so many people are looking for someone to complete them rather than being whole, and looking for someone to complement them. I'll keep checking in to see how you're doing.

     
  • At 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Lisa,
    I am glad that you will continue with this blog, because it is one of my favorites.

    You are obviously a very resilient person and a real fighter, to be able to deal so gracefully with all the bad stuff life has handed you lately.

     
  • At 8:58 PM, Blogger chris said…

    Hey. I know it sucks. I've been there, but his behavior is not acceptable. You deserve better.

    By the way, I hope you have a good lawyer. I see a lot of women get screwed over because they don't take care of themselves the way men do in divorces (I'm a family law atty).

    You are so young and have a wonderful future ahead of you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home